Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lilac Parade

The kids and I went to the Lilac Festival parade this morning. We had absolutely perfect weather for it. The sun was out, the temperature was around 52, and there was just a hint of a breeze. After navigating several closed streets we were able to find a parking space about 1/4 mile from the end of the parade route. This worked out well since we were planning to just go to the parade today. Once it was over most people headed toward the festival but we went the opposite direction back to the car. Here are some of the highlights, in my opinion, of the parade.












I really like horses, so when the parade started with mounted police officers and then this horse pulling a wagon, I was thrilled.












I thought these guys had cool uniforms. They looked like they were wearing tuxes, without the jackets. Oh yeah, they sounded pretty good too.












Again, I liked the uniforms. I am not a huge fan of marching bands, but parades would be very boring without them.












These dogs are from the local German Shepherd rescue. The white one in the middle was very "talkative."












There is just something about the Red Hat Society that brings a smile to my face whenever I see them. Perhaps its the silly red hats with purple clothing, or the infectious smiles many of the ladies wear. I'm just not certain, but I sure do like seeing them around.












This guy was so funny looking. Its a Shriner hat that is as big as a person. Several small children ran up to him to shake his hand or hug him and I thought for sure he would run them over, but apparently he has pretty good vision inside that thing!

















Bagpipes are my favorite part of any parade! The music never lasts long enough, but these guys were great.

























Nope, I really wasn't kidding when I said bagpipes are my favorite!












I'm not sure you can tell from the picture what this is...an elephant made entirely of balloons. There were a few balloon creations like this in the parade...very odd! I hope nobody there had a latex allergy.












Just as the parade opened with horses, it ended with horses.

1 comment:

Katya said...

Well, what a grand time you must have had!! Of course, I knew the men in skirts would be the most appealing part of the parade, along with the horses!!! LOL!!!! I love bagpipes, too. They are so rare, and such a treat to hear! Especially when in multiples! Very nice pictures, too! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the pretty weather!