Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Middle of the Night Scratching

My back hurt so badly yesterday, that I spent most of the afternoon and night in bed. I finally got comfortable enough to go to sleep for the night around 1 AM, knowing that I had to be up at 4 AM to go to work. I used to sleep through anything, and to some extent I still do, which is fortunate since we live practically next door to the airport on a flight pattern. Anyway, at 2:30 I heard something in my sound asleep state and shot straight upright in bed. It sounded metallic, but for the life of me I could not figure out why one of the kids would be up at 2:30 in the morning banging metallic objects together. Then it hit me...one of our (unwelcome) resident mice was in the knee wall in our bedroom, chewing on something. It must have been near the heat run bumping it with something, making the faint metallic sound I heard. After that all I could hear was the stupid mouse chewing on what sounded like carpet, although I found no evidence of that. It was NOT the kind of thing one should wake up to in the middle of the night, especially when one has only just gotten to sleep!

When I got home from work this afternoon, I grabbed the kids, stuffed them in the closet and told them to vacuum and clean and look for mouse droppings. We found a little nest under a loose floor board so we piled heavy stuff on top of it. I believe that is where they were getting into the room, so hopefully I have cut them off. I'll have to get a new electrocution chamber, but until then, I hope they find somewhere else to chew in the night!

1 comment:

Katya said...

Well, I know that kitties just don't appeal to you, but perhaps a nice little mouser is JUST what you need!!! With all of the demolition going on in the basement, the darn critters are movin' on UP! I can't believe that the mouse woke you up...you must be developing lighter sleep patterns, OR, that mouse was LOUD!!! Good thing he didn't get into your PANS! hehehe